The 18th Century
Concord's Colonial Inn is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The original structure was built in 1716, and the property has been operated as a hotel since 1889. Situated on Concord's town common, known as Monument Square, the Inn is surrounded by landmarks of our nation's literary and revolutionary history.
In 1775, one of the Inn's original buildings was used as a storehouse for arms and provisions. When the British came to seize and destroy the supplies, the Minutemen met them at the North Bridge on April 19th for what became the first battle of the American Revolution. The event is commemorated every April with a parade near the Inn and a ceremony at the North Bridge on Patriots Day.
The 19th Century
During the first half of the nineteenth century, parts of the Inn were used as a variety store and it thrived as a center of lively commerce. The property also served as a residence, and in the early 1800s the Thoreau family moved in. Henry David Thoreau resided there from 1835 to 1837 while he attended Harvard. Beginning in the mid-1800s, the building was used as a boarding house and a small hotel, named the Thoreau House after Henry's aunts, the Thoreau Girls.
The 20th Century
By 1900, the property was given its current name: Concord's Colonial Inn. Since its purchase by German Hotelier Jurgen Demisch in 1988, the property has undergone a transformation in philosophy. Combining a rich historical background with today's modern services, Concord's Colonial Inn is positioned to be one of New England's top destinations for centuries to come.
Join us in the Village Forge Tavern for live entertainment Wednesday to Saturday from 8-11pm, Sunday from 7-10 pm. No cover charge.